Today, October 23th, 2020, the Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte appeared with Health Minister and so-called Coronaminister Hugo de Jonge in a press conference. The situation is getting worse every day – and is calling for a partial lockdown.
Among the new rules announced by the two ministers:
About the HORECA
- Restaurants, bars, and other HORECA establishments will close. So will any catering sections of other businesses. Hotels may remain open.
- Restaurants and coffee shops may still serve take-out.
- Alcoholic beverages and soft drugs may not be bought between 8 pm and 7 am.
About Social Contact
- There may be a maximum of 30 people in any indoor space. The only exception: churches, protests, and democratic bodies.
- Households may receive at most 3 guests per day.
- Group sports and competitions are no longer allowed for adults.
- Working from home remains the norm.
- Events are banned. A few exceptions to this rule are food markets, cinemas and theaters, conferences, demonstrations, and professional sports matches.
- Shops will have to maintain a distance of 1,5 m at a minimum between people.
- A maximum number of shoppers will also be set, and the police will tighten rule enforcement.
- Travel is still possible, although not to orange areas.
- When on vacation, it is advised to spend as much time as possible in your lodging location.
About Face Masks
- Face masks are now mandatory in enclosed public spaces as well as public transportation.
- Face masks are also mandatory in school whenever outside of class.
If some supermarkets get too crowded, they might undergo special closures as well.
The government also came up with a road map, with guidelines to be followed according to risk levels. However, as Minister de Jonge pointed out, the measures may – and probably will – be harsher than those outlined. As of right now, the Netherlands sits at the highest level of infection.
These measures will take effect on 14th October 2020, at 20:00, and will apply for the next four weeks (10th November 2020). They can be changed in the meantime and additional measures are possible regionally.